Sunday 16 August 2009

Oman: Traditional Dinner Experience

Chad and I went for a Dolphin tour on the Gulf. It was amazing. Dolphins surrounded us!
Me on the boat. I was feeling a bit sea sick because of the waves, but they soon settled and I felt fine.
View from the Marina!
Our tour guide Mohammad, took us to his farm to see his goats. He has a date farm. Dates make you strong and help make children in the Omani culture! When Omani's get married they have children right away, they have about 10-14 children. So Chad and I were asked if we had children about 10 times. haha
A traditional Omani lunch. Fresh dates from the palm trees, and rice and a meet. They have rice EVERY DAY. They also eat with their hands only. You should never use your left hand. The left hand is considered dirty. You also have to eat A LOT. The family will keep feeding you. When you are stuffed you say "HALAS". Which means "FINISH".

Chad and I had a great experience in Oman. Mohammad liked his "Canadians" so much that he invited us back to his home the next day for lunch. When we got there, Chad and I were separated. I went into the room they call the meeting room with all women and Chad went with the men. Only one of the women spoke English, so I got to learn a few Arabic words. After, I got a tour of their land, and they brought out this beige powder which you add water too to make a sunblock. So I wore that on my face, and it felt like sand! haha Chad learned and took part in traditional Omani dances, they also gave him a head wrap to wear. (See other blog)

During the dinner, the little girls asked me if there was traditional dress in Canada. I told them that they were looking at it (t-shirt and jeans). They also asked me what snow is like, and how I survive in the cold. haha I told them that you just get used to it! As we were eating, they offered me coffee. When you are served coffee and you are finished, you hand the coffee cup to the server and shake it. The shaking means you are HALAS (finished) otherwise the server will fill up your cup again. After dinner, I thanked the family, and we said our goodbyes. So, I experienced the traditional Arabic culture! It was unforgetable. They treated Chad and I like we were a king and Queen. Mohammad's family said I was like princess Diana to them. ahah They were amazing.

3 comments:

  1. They probably have never seen anyone so tall. They might have confused you with "GODZILLA". Just don't step into China, they might call in the army!

    Stay safe! See you when you get home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Allie, this all sounds amazing. I am learning so much from reading your blog. Your mini trip to Oman seems like it was an incredible experience. Maybe I need to read the blog before this but how did you guys find your tourguide, and how did you get so lucky that he invited you to a meal with his family?

    Keep having enough adventures for all of us!
    xo
    ALF

    ReplyDelete
  3. They hotel we stayed at recommended this man because he was very good. Which, turns out he was. He invited us back to his house because he liked us! hhah It was very nice of him!

    ReplyDelete